• The Best Places to go Trick or Treating in Asheville, NC
    Community,  Family Friendly

The Best Places to go Trick-or-Treating in Asheville

Halloween in Asheville is fun, like everywhere else, and beautiful! The weather is perfect by the end of October: warm, sunny, glorious days and chilly, crisp nights. Most years, the trees still display their stunning fall colors, and the evening breeze adds the last touch for a perfect night to celebrate the magic of fall. The roots of the current traditions of All Hallows’ Eve are ancient and diverse, but one thing is for sure – almost everyone loves Halloween! What’s not to love about wearing a fun costume, walking around after dark with dozens of people wearing costumes, and getting (tons of) free candy? Of course, the biggest applause…

• Complete Guide to Electric Cars and EV Charging in Asheville, NC
    Community

Complete Guide to Electric Cars and EV Charging in Asheville

If you’ve spent time in North Asheville and pay attention to the high-pitched whine of battery-powered cars, you’ll immediately notice that Asheville has a fleet of Teslas, hybrids, and other electric-powered cars. Once you start paying attention, you’ll see that they are definitely a presence here, even if gas-powered cars are still the overwhelming majority of any traffic jam coming down Merrimon.  I’m generally not an early adopter of anything – I took forever to get a smart cell phone, for instance, and most of my electronics and gadgets are as old as possible and maybe even purchased at yard sales. However, moving to Asheville has been part of my…

• Guide to the Best Live Music Venues in Asheville, NC
    Surrounding Areas,  Community

A Guide to Live Music Venues in Asheville, NC

For a city of less than 100,000 year-round residents, Asheville is truly a destination when it comes to musical talent. As a tourist destination and a well-known hub for arts and culture, musical acts who would otherwise gravitate to Greenville, Charlotte, or Knoxville often find room in their schedules to stop by one of the many music venues in Asheville, NC.  I have fond memories of all kinds of music in Asheville, particularly at venues that are no longer with me – the carrying tunes by the river at the Bywater and the dapper elegance of Isis Music Hall in West Asheville. However, I keep finding new music experiences in…

• Awesome Local Jewelry Stores in Asheville, North Carolina
    Community,  Attractions

15 Amazing Local Jewelry Stores in Asheville

Asheville is undoubtedly a romantic place: plenty of people choose this spot for a sweet date night at a downtown restaurant, a romantic stroll through Biltmore Estate, or a cozy backpacking trip on the many nearby mountain trails.  However, when it comes to a particular kind of sparkly accessory, Asheville is also a good destination: whether you’re looking for jewelry to commemorate an important occasion, seal your love with an engagement ring, or simply look your best in your chosen look, we’ve got jewelry stores in Asheville to share with you! Asheville’s artisan culture means that there are plenty of options that are both traditional, multi-location shops that can source…

• Resources for Small Business Owners and Entrepreneurs in Asheville, NC
    Community

Helpful Resources for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs in Asheville

While Asheville is first and foremost a tourism city, there’s a strong undercurrent of innovation that has been growing here. People love local products and local art, and over time, we’ve been growing the entrepreneurship/small business sector as well.  I believe that a big driver behind this is the major growth the city has seen in the past three years. Many people whose work has become permanently remote or who recently started their own business have opted to move to Asheville – if you can work from anywhere, why not somewhere so beautiful and exciting? The local business community recognizes that a rising tide of new businesses can lift other…

• The Best Female-Owned Businesses in Asheville, North Carolina
    Attractions,  Community,  Wining & Dining

17 Incredible Women-Owned Businesses in Asheville 

“I’m a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That’s me.” (Extract of Maya Angelou’s poem Phenomenal Woman) Asheville is full of phenomenally phenomenal women. They are mothers, friends, lovers, employers, employees, stay-at-home moms, wizards, lovers, fairies, good witches, mischievous witches, dancers, teachers, scientists, spiritual leaders, cat ladies, healers, bird whisperers, volunteers, and amazing!  They work with nonprofits and have imagined and manifested extraordinary women-owned Asheville businesses. They rock big time. From mobile bookstore, beauty salon, cat café, and donut shop owners to Queen Bees offering free honey tastings and a photographer who doesn’t take photos but makes visual poems, I’ve compiled a list of some great Asheville women-owned businesses and some fun…

• Complete Guide to the Libraries in Asheville, North Carolina
    Family Friendly,  Community

A Guide to the Libraries of Asheville, NC

The idea of a public library is a powerful one – rather than just buying a few books for one’s own home, our tax dollars work together to share thousands of physical books and countless additional online resources.  From doing research about one’s family history to taking free online coursework to improve one’s career opportunities, there are incredible benefits to using the public library as a resource. Start your own exploration with this library guide, but then hop over to the Buncombe County Public Libraries website to get even more up-to-date listings for events and activities.  Why are Asheville libraries so important to local residents? The Buncombe County Public Libraries…

• Guide to the Non-Profits in Asheville, North Carolina
    Community

Getting Involved: A Guide to Asheville’s Nonprofits

Locals in Asheville tend to be civic-minded – whether you’re simply a caring neighbor who keeps an eye on the kids and pets who are in your area or you’re actively involved in advocacy at city council meetings, there are many ways to be a part of your community. One of the big ones is to volunteer or donate money to local nonprofit organizations. Asheville nonprofits identify spots where there is a need for some good to be done in the community over and above any government resources that are available. Local nonprofits work to route resources like food, essential goods like baby gear, access to affordable and decent housing…

• The Best Farmers Markets in Asheville, NC
    Attractions,  Community,  Family Friendly

The 9 Best Farmers’ Markets in Asheville

Farmers’ markets in Western North Carolina are such a combination of an attraction. First, they are often picturesque, a great way to see the life and the hustle and bustle of the city while getting a little walking in and feeling like you’re connecting with the place.  Second, they support the many small agricultural businesses in our community, both those who raise livestock and farm plants but also secondary businesses making artisan bread, cheese, soups, pasta, and all kinds of handicrafts.  Third, they are a great way to make a night in special, bringing home some fun and even unfamiliar ingredients to make your own Iron Chef challenge in the…

Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop